Friday, August 18, 2017

Sophia Rose Reviews - Baba Connridh by Michelle Franklin

It's time once again to turn the blog over to my fantastic guest reviewer Sophia Rose. Today she's reviewing Baba Connridh by Michelle Franklin,  A Frewyn Fable.
Sophia Rose it's all yours!!

Enjoy!


Baba Connridh: A Tale of Frewyn by Michelle Franklin
Fantasy
Publisher: Indie
Published:  5.21.17
Pages:  99
ASIN: B072PQTRNF
Format: eARC
Source:  Author
Sellers:  Amazon

ADD TO:  GOODREADS
Overview:
Gran Mara Connridh, known to her few friends as Baba, is Frewyn's oldest farmer. 

She spends her days marching over her fields with her cat at her side, throwing stones at children, frightening her neighbours, and avoiding unwanted visitors by telling them exactly what she thinks about them when they should happen to stop by. All is prepared for the coming harvest on Baba's farm, and she has nothing more to do but sit by her hearth and disdain the world, until a visit from the gods and two wanton fey force her to leave her house and put her old powers back into practice. 

Beware the grans with charms and magic knitters. They are never as frail and friable as they appear.


Sophia Rose's Review:

The whimsy and feel of an old-style fairytale were captured in this latest of stories from the Tales of Frewyn world.

I adored this shorter fantasy story with an old farm woman set in her ways as the main character and the delight of encountering annoying neighbors, tricksy and brooding god brothers, and some fey who wandered onto her land.  Baba is more than she seems, but sometimes exactly what she seems. 

The story made me smile and laugh and feel thoroughly entertained.  Baba Connridh is part of the Haanta universe of stories and particularly, the Tales From Frewyn collection.  It reads fine as a standalone, but it was fun for a long time fan like me to see mention of familiar characters, too.

Those who enjoy classic-style fairytale fantasy would have a good time with this one.

Author’s Bio:
A woman of moderate consequence who writes many things. Scientist. Knight of the Spade. Agronomist. Bibliothecary. Lucubrator. Philologist. Professor Emeritus. Burgeoning Valetudinarian. A Wit.

As a great student of the world, I have studied classics, agriculture, archaeology, history, literature, linguistics, and a myriad of natural sciences. I don't dare count how many courses I have taken or books I have read; they would only betray how violently boring my life is. Being the wretchedest old being in the world, however, only gives me permission to disdain everyone for my amusement and be more interesting on the page. Authors are meant to be read anyway; no one ever wants to actually see us. I adore people as subjects, and absolutely despise the public collective; all my ambition is to be an old solitudinarian, blessed with all the joys of unquietness, tea, and more cats than my sanity should admit.



Meet Sophia Rose:
Sophia’s Bio:
Sophia is a quiet though curious gal who dabbles in cooking, book reviewing, and gardening. Encouraged and supported by an incredible man and loving family. A Northern Californian transplant to the Great Lakes Region of the US. Lover of Jane Austen, Baseball, Cats, Scooby Doo, and Chocolate.
Sophia’s Social Media Links:

13 comments:

  1. What a great story Sophia Rose. Before this I wouldn't have thought of reading fairy tales.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always loved them and was glad that I still wanted to read them even as an adult when I started reading fantasy stories. Michelle's are great.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Kindlemom! Fairytales are great escape reading, right? :)

      Delete
  3. LOL, Baba looks adorable and scary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those classic fairy tales and this sounds really fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had me laughing several times. She was a great character.

      Delete
  5. This sounds great. I am a huge fan of classic fairy tales. Thanks for sharing! :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great, DMS. Oh, me too. Love my fantasy reads. :)

      Delete
  6. I confess to being a serious fan of fairy tales, and new creative ways to share them. That cover is so cute too. Hope you both have a great weekend! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Ro. I do love new takes on fairytales and fantasy stories.

      Have a great week, Radiant Ro!

      Delete